Math Coordinators Summary
Monday, July 1, 2002
Today we discussed the following topics
- PCMI Goals
- Strengthen math content knowledge
- Reflection on Practice
- Become a resource person for colleagues within the profession.
- Professional Development Outreach Models
- Seattle Site with their weeklong Northwest Mathematics Interaction (NWMI) http://math.washington.edu/~king/nwmi.html
- Michigan - Roger
- PCMI Vision - Herb Clemens
- University sites
- State/school district
- Developing sites with a university connection
- Woodrow Willson/T3 format for PD.
- Tension between Content and high stake testing, standards, and math underpinnings
- Deep understanding of what we teach.
- How to build a community of math learners
- How to get teachers to PD opportunities
- After school
- During school
- Compensate? Vs Charge
- Building based decision making vs. Central control
- Professional Development Models
- Study Groups
- Lesson Study
- Japanese lesson study seminar
- The Teaching Gap - chapters 5 - 6, and review Chapter 9.
Back to Journal Index
PCMI@MathForum Home || IAS/PCMI Home
© 2001 - 2018 Park City Mathematics Institute
IAS/Park City Mathematics Institute is an outreach program of the Institute for Advanced Study, 1 Einstein Drive, Princeton, NJ 08540
Send questions or comments to: Suzanne Alejandre and Jim King
With program support provided by Math for America
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under DMS-0940733 and DMS-1441467. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.