2016 Index Page
Participant Outreach Activities
Update Contact Info
Note to Suzanne/Richard
Assessing with the End in Mind
Calculus by Inquiry
Launchpad: CC Algebra 2
Low Floor/High Ceiling
Stats: Strengthening Narrative
Standards for MP Assessment Rubric
2016: Roster, PowerPoint, Photos
Summer Math Camp
2016: Roster, Schedule, Photos
individual login required
PCMI Event Showcase
generic login required
OneNote Online Pages
E-mail Addresses [2001-2016]
Forms, Templates, Guidelines
Idea proposed by Robert Gould
What I'm about to propose is completely optional, but I would be very interested in hearing your teachers' feedback. The project I've been involved in http://www.mobilizingcs.org utilizes somthing called "participatory sensing". The goal of PS is to create a "data community" united by a common goal, shared data collection, and shared data.
With that in mind, it would be great if any of your teachers would agree to participate in a participatory sensing campaign for one day. Here's what they'd be asked to do: Using their mobilize device (phone or iPad - can also use a laptop), they would be asked to collect data every time they threw an item away. This might be 9 times, or it might be 10 times, depending on their personal patterns. These data will be available via a visualizing "dashboard." I would love to talk to them about how they think this could be used in a classroom (or how it could not), and share with them some of the challenges we faced in implementing it. The biggest challenge was that teachers needed to acquaint themselves with the "data cycle" - or, as the GAISE report puts it "the statistical investigation process". But there are many other interesting things to talk about, too. And perhaps it could be used in an online course.
Here are the steps:
- Visit https://sandbox.mobilizingcs.org/#register and create an account
- Use Android or iOS device to download the "UCLA Mobilizing CS" app (selecting "sandbox.mobilizingcs.org" from the server dropdown).
- On the confirmation email after you create your account, click "I AGREE" at the very bottom to finalize the creation of your account.
- Log into the app using your account name and password created in step 1. Find the "Mobilize Trash" campaign and load it onto your device.
- Whenever you throw an item away, open the app and start the campaign. You'll be asked a series of questions (including "take a picture of the item").
- Your data is visible only to you. But you can (and should) share your data with the community. To do this, go to response tool (https://sandbox.mobilizingcs.org/#campaigns/#responses, log on, and "share" your data.
- You can visualize the shared data using a 'dashboard' interface at https://sandbox.mobilizingcs.org/#campaigns/#dashboard or a more traidtional view using the plotapp at https://sandbox.mobilizingcs.org/#campaigns/#plotapp
If you didn't want to collect data, but want to see what the dashboard is like, a generic version (with de-identified historic data) is at