Park City Mathematics Institute
- Graphing Parabolas Lesson
- Grade Level: Common Core 9th Grade
- Subject: Algebra 1
- Topic: Graphing quadratics in vertex form
- Authors: Sean Corey, Paul DeRonne, Mary Langmyer, Stever Leung, Michele Nieves, Melissa Schumacher
- Group Facilitators: Mary Pilgrim and Jake Leibold
- The purpose of our lesson study was to collaboratively create, teach, and revise a lesson for high school students learning Algebra 1 or an Integrated 1 Common Core Mathematics class. Then we met an average of eight hours per week for three weeks. The lesson was first taught to 13 high school students attending the Park City Mathematics Institute summer math camp. The second time the lesson was taught to about 30 high school students attending an Algebra course at the Winter Sports School in Park City, Utah.
- The major objective of our lesson was for students to understand the characteristics of the graph of the parabola and connect the vertex form of the equation to the location of the vertex point.
- download: [generic login required]
zipped folder LessonStudy2018PrintMaterials.zip
MS Word file 2018FINALLessonPlan.docx
Back to Index
Unless otherwise indicated all of these materials are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
4.0 International License.
PCMI TLP Home || IAS/PCMI Home
© 2001 - 2020 Park City Mathematics Institute
IAS/Park City Mathematics Institute is an outreach program of the Institute for Advanced Study, 1 Einstein Drive, Princeton, NJ 08540.
Send questions or comments to: Suzanne Alejandre
With major funding from Math for America